I recommend using large prawns – the photo above shows smaller prawns but I think the meatiness of a larger prawn lends well to the weight of the crispy crust and sauce. These gluten free Ebi Mayo Prawns can be served with tooth picks (smaller prawns), or a fork depending on the size.
- 12 ebi (shrimp or prawns), peeled and deveined / or pre-cooked.
- About a half cup of Japanese sake
- 5 tbsp or more of corn starch
- Cooking oil (I used olive oil as it’s healthier)
Ebi Mayo Sauce:
- 3 tbsp gluten free mayonnaise (do not use Japanese mayo)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp honey
- Squeeze of lemon
Marinate peeled and deveined shrimp in sake for at least one hour.
To finish the Prawns:
- Drain and then toss in corn starch to fully coat.
- Fry approx half of the prawns in pan with about 1/4″ oil until cooked and golden brown (about 2 mins per side). Remove and transfer to paper towel. Pat to remove excess oil. Repeat with remaining prawns until done.
- Toss prawns in enough sauce mixture to lightly coat.