Another great family favourite is this easy to make Gourmet Gluten Free Cheesy Potato Cassorole. First of all, the is an ideal for buffets or when you want to indulge in some cheesy carbohydrate goodness. This gluten free version was inspired by the original Best of Bridge recipe known by many great Canadian moms (and cooks) as Schwarties Potatoes. As many old time favourite recipes use condensed mushroom soup as a base, I also created my own home made version that works just as well but without the gluten.
These can be made ahead and frozen. Just be sure to defrost before baking. Sorry, this is soooo not low fat! Lose clothing is recommended.
- Three large white potatoes (about three to four cups diced) or one large bag of finely chopped frozen hash browns.
- 1 cup gluten free condensed mushroom soup mix (see website for recipe)
- 4 rashers of bacon (cooked, drained and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup shredded strong cheddar cheese
- 1-2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat preferred – if not, regular is ok
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (for topping)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika