- One cup canned/jarred artichokes, drained
- 1 TSP chopped garlic clove
- Chopped shallot – 1 TBSP
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/4 cup low fat mayo
- About 1/4 cup tinned red or green chili’s (less or more – depending on your desired heat)
- 1/2 cup tinned cannelloni or great northern beans (any type of soft white bean will do)
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and white pepper
In a food processor, finely chop garlic and shallot. Add the low fat mayo, lemon juice, tinned red or green chili’s, tinned cannelloni or great northern beans, Dijon mustard and blend well. Add artichokes and pulse until artichokes are incorporated into the mixture but don’t over chop – you want to be left with some nice chunky pieces.
Garnish with a generous pinch of paprika, a squeeze of lemon and dry chili peppers (if desired). Serve with your favourite gluten free chips or crackers.
Try adding a 1/4 cup chopped spinach for another tasty healthy option.
Substitute egg free mayo for a vegan option.
Did you know? The artichoke is a large thistle that belongs to the sunflower family. The green vegetable has several thick pointed leaves attached to a central heart. It resembles a large flower bud on top of a slender stalk. The soft petal bases and heart of the vegetable are the edible portions. It is one of the highly nutritious vegetables available during the winter.