My first experience with this Gluten Free Mango Crab Roll was in Hawaii at a restaurant called Sansei.
I loved it so much, I returned to the restaurant at least four times during my seven day stay. I searched high and low for the recipe and alas, finally found it.
I’m warning you now, Mamanori sheets are pretty difficult to track down but if you find them, it’s well worth the effort. Keep in mind though, that some of the colors (not all) contain traces of gluten so be sure to do your research before you buy. You can also use regular nori sheets if you are worried about cross contamination at the factory. Regular nori sheets can be found at most supermarkets in the Asian section.
- 3 – 4 cups blue crab meat
- 1/4 cup gluten free mayo
- 4 large (8 small) sheets mamenori or nori
- 1/2 cup cooked white sushi rice (or other sticky type rice)
- 8 cups loose mesculin greens
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts (unsalted preferably)
- 2 cups fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup Thai vinaigrette (see below for recipe)
- 4 tsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- 4 Tbsp sake
- 4 Tbsp mirin
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp Sambal Olek
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp yuzu juice (or lime juice as a substitute)